We take great pride in saying that all of our organic skin care products are served straight up! No fillers, no added chemicals, no fragrances – just 100% natural & organic glam packed goodness. Don’t be fooled by those “basic” brands that’ll have you believe that their products are indeed natural. They’re not! Play it smart & know exactly what your using & how it effects your skin (remember that skin absorbs up to 60% off what you put on it). And because we truly want you to love the skin you’re in – we’ve rounded up a list of the top 12 toxic chemicals found in skincare products. This list will allow you to make healthier purchases & rid your vanity of any nasty products. So, let’s expose this dirty dozen & remember to treat your skin with respect!
1. Parabens. Parabens possess estrogen-mimicking properties that are associated with increased risk of breast cancer. These chemicals are absorbed through the skin and have been identified in biopsy samples from breast tumors.
2. Synthetic colors. Synthetic colors are suspected to be a human carcinogen, a skin irritant and are linked to ADHD in children. The European Classification and Labeling considers it a human carcinogen and the European Union has banned it.
3. Fragrance. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) Skin Deep Database, fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system. It can be found in many products such as perfume, cologne, conditioner, shampoo, body wash and moisturizers.
4. Phthalates. A group of chemicals used in hundreds of products to increase the flexibility and softness of plastics. They are known to be endocrine disruptors and have been linked to increased risk of breast cancer, early breast development in girls, and reproductive birth defects in males and females.
5. Triclosan. Tricolson is widely used antimicrobial chemical that’s a known endocrine disruptor — especially thyroid and reproductive hormones, and a skin irritant.
6. Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) / Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES). This surfactant can be found in more than 90 percent of personal care and cleaning products (think foaming products). SLS’s are known to be skin, lung, and eye irritants.
7. Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing preservatives (FRP’s) preservatives is known to cause allergic skin reactions and it may also be harmful to the immune system. It can be found in nail polish, body washes, conditioners, shampoos, cleansers, eye shadows, nail polish treatments.
8. Toluene. A petrochemical derived from petroleum or coal tar sources. You may see it on labels listed as benzene, toluol, phenylmethane, methylbenzene. Toluene is a potent solvent able to dissolve paint and paint thinner. It can affect your respiratory system, cause nausea and irritate your skin.
9. Propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is a small organic alcohol commonly used as a skin-conditioning agent. It’s classified as a skin irritant and penetrator. It has been associated with causing dermatitis as well as hives in humans.
10. Sunscreen chemicals. These chemicals are endocrine disruptors and are believed to be easily absorbed into the body. They may also cause cellular damage and cancer in the body. Common names are benzophenone, PABA, avobenzone, homosalate and ethoxycinnmate. They can be found in sunscreen products.
11. Imidazolidinyl Urea. Located in most water-based cosmetics, deodorants, hair dyes, shaving cream, and face masks lurks imidazolidinyl urea in concentrations of 0.1-5 percent. This highly water soluble chemical remains on the skin for hours after being applied through any of the mentioned products, and has sufficient time to be thoroughly absorbed by the dermal cells.
12. Polyethylene Glycols. Polyethylene glycols (PEG) is used in various creams as a moisturizer, and they account for a class of ingredients that are petroleum-based. PEGs are known to have low toxicity but their impurities, ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane, are not. 1,4-dioxane targets the liver and kidneys when inhaled or absorbed by the body.
Are you ready to go rogue? If this list doesn’t scare you straight, what will? Our products allow you to achieve glamorously healthy looks without the use of ANY of the “Dirty Dozen”.
Back to Beauty Couture